When you think about fall one of the first things that probably comes to mind are pumpkins. Pumpkin picking, carving, painting and all the yummy pumpkin treats to make and taste.
One of our family favorites is pumpkin bread.
This recipe was handed down from my mother to me, and now my son. We enjoy making it together, not just in the fall, but all year round.
So let’s get started.
Preheat the oven and greasing the pan. Next, in a large bowl mix oil, applesauce, and sugar. Add eggs and pumpkin, mix well.
In a separate bowl combine flour, powder, salt, soda and spices.
Add nuts to dry mixture if using. Slowly add dry ingredients alternately with the water to the wet ingredients until batter is mixed well.
This bread loaf recipe in a single loaf takes almost 90 minutes to bake. A great way to minimize time is to make a dozen mini muffins with the recipe too. Another option is to divide the batter into two loaf pans. This decreases baking time.
- ¼ c. oil
- 1 ⅔ c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. applesauce
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. pureed pumpkin
- 1 tsp. each ground cloves, nutmeg & cinnamon
- ½ c. water
- 1 c. chopped walnuts (*optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix oil, applesauce, and sugar.
- Add eggs and pumpkin, mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, powder, salt, soda and spices.
- Add nuts to the dry mixture if using.
- Slowly add dry ingredients alternately with the water to the wet ingredients until batter is mixed well.
- Bake in prepared pan for 1 hour (if 2 pans) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 90 mins for one large loaf.