If your kids are like my son “basketti” (a.k.a. spaghetti) is one of their favorite things. Pasta is a “can’t go wrong” food in our house. Tired of the same ‘ole red sauce or same pesto pasta? But still want the quick easy convenience of that type of meal? You are in luck.
This spaghetti with creamy mushroom and pepper sauce is ready in under 30 minutes. It has very little preparation and is enjoyed by both kids and adults. This feeds four people, but could easily be doubled to feed more.
Step 1: Cook your pasta.
You can lightly salt your water and choose your pasta of choice. We love spaghetti but this meal is awesome with penne as well.
Step 2: Start chopping.
In our house, we love to chop! We use fresh foods that need some preparation. This meal has some of our favorite things to chop. Our 5-year-old helps chop as well. He started with a butter knife at 3-4 years old and has graduated to a sharp knife.
Chop the peppers into long slices, mushrooms into thin slices, chop the scallions into thin slices all the way from end to end. Include both green and white ends.
Step 3: Cook the sauce.
Put the butter and oil in the pan. Heat on low heat. Add the scallions, mince the garlic into the pan, add the mushrooms, the cream, peppers, and all the spices. Mix thoroughly and turn the heat up to medium/low. When it starts to bubble, add the water, the flour, and sour cream. Stir and keep on medium low for 5-8 minutes. If your stove heats hot even on low keep an eye on it and go for less time. If your stove is standard you might need 8 minutes for the peppers to soften.
Because there are peppers and mushrooms with the sauce you don’t really need a veggie side. If you wanted to add meat to this dish a nice grilled chicken cut into slices could top the pasta.
Even our 5-year-old ate this dish. He picked through some of the mushrooms but ate a few. Keeping them thin and not chunky helps! Enjoy this easy, fast meal for everyone!
Wine Pairing: Woodbridge Chardonnay
- 10 oz. pasta (spaghetti or penne)
- 1 small package of mushrooms
- 2 sprigs of green scallion onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1½ cups of fat-free creamer (or heavy cream if you prefer)
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tbsp. of flour
- ¼ cup light sour cream (or whole fat if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp of parsley
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp basil
- ¾ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of minced garlic dried
- ⅛ tsp of onion powder
- A shake of red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta. Lightly salt the water if you prefer.
- Add butter and olive oil to pan. Turn pan on low heat.
- Chop the pepper into long strips. Chop the mushrooms into thin slices. Chop the green scallions into thin slices, and mince garlic. Add all of them to the pan.
- Add the creamer to the pan. Bring to small bubble over medium/low heat.
- Add water, flour and sour cream.
- Add spices.
- Stir occasionally over medium/low heat for 5-8 minutes.